Skip to main content

Division of Licensing and Protection

The Division of Licensing and Protection works to ensure that Vermont is the best state to grow old or have a disability, with respect, dignity, and independence.

Division Philosophy

Balanced and assertive regulation of health care organizations ensure that vulnerable Vermonters receive care with dignity, respect, and independence. When vulnerable Vermonters are maltreated, there should be an effective investigation and protective services put in place to prevent additional harm.

Division Structure

The Division of Licensing and Protection has two branches that work to protect vulnerable adults and individuals receiving care:

Survey and Certification (S&C) is the State Survey Agency for the State of Vermont, and in this role, they license and certify health care organizations to ensure they meet minimum state and federal regulations.

Adult Protective Services (APS) investigates allegations of the abuse, neglect, and exploitation of vulnerable adults and implements protective services, as necessary, to limit future maltreatment.

Make a Report

S&C surveys health care facilities and agencies to assure they are in compliance with federal and state regulations. S&C employs registered nurses who travel statewide to hospitals, home health agencies, nursing homes, residential care homes, and a host of other health care providers to assess whether the care and services given to residents and patients meet federal and state regulations.  A report should be made to S&C if you feel that patients or residents have been harmed or may be harmed by the inappropriate practices of a healthcare organization.  Organizations may be out of compliance with regulations, even if no staff members are intentionally or recklessly harming patients or residents.

Make a Report with S&C

APS investigates allegations that a vulnerable adult was abused, neglected, or exploited by an alleged perpetrator.  APS’ focus is primarily on the conduct of individuals and not healthcare systems.  A report should be made to APS if you feel that a vulnerable adult has been harmed because of actions (or inaction) taken by a specific person or persons.  In most cases, this requires the alleged perpetrator to either intentionally or recklessly harm the vulnerable adult.  Vermont Law establishes who are vulnerable adults and what constitutes abuse, neglect, and exploitation.

Make a Report with APS