Skip to main content

Get Help Now

Adult Protective Services

If you suspect that an older person, a person with disabilities, or even yourself, are being abused, neglected, or exploited, report your concerns to Adult Protective Services (APS). This unit investigates allegations of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of vulnerable adults.

To make an APS report

Abuse, Exploitation and Neglect in Later Life,  A Vermont Guide

Developmental Disabilities Services - Crisis Contact Information

This site offers a variety of Crisis Services to help people who may be in need of emergency supports.

Public Guardian

The Public Guardian emergency number is 1-800-642-3100. Guardianship services are for those people with developmental disabilities or over the age of 60 with mental disabilities who have been determined by the court to need guardianship support. A guardian has legal responsibility to protect the well-being and rights of another. A guardian also has authority to make some legal decisions for the person.

Domestic Violence

This Agency of Human Services page is a resource if you need immediate assistance, and provides non-emergency State resources for domestic violence, advocacy groups and assistance for staff and communities with safety issues for domestic violence and child abuse.

Reporting Child Abuse

Certain people are required by Vermont law to report suspected cases of child abuse and neglect. These mandated reporters are legally required to report their suspicions to their local Family Services District Office—within 24 hours. In addition, any other person who has reason to believe that a child may have been abused or neglected may make a report to the Family Services Division of Department for Children and Families (DCF).

Suicide Prevention Resources