Skip to main content

Programs and Services


Adult Day Centers
Adult Day Centers provide services for older adults and adults with disabilities. These facilities help these populations stay as independent as possible in their own homes. Adult day services provide daytime programs including entertainment, activities, social interaction, nutritious meals, health screening and monitoring, personal care, and transportation. Respite for family caregivers is also available.

Adult Protective Services (APS)
Adult Protective Services (APS) is a public safety program within the Division of Licensing and Protection (DLP).

Area Agencies on Aging
Area Agencies on Aging provide support to people 60 and older to help them stay active, healthy, financially secure, and in control of their own lives.

Assisted Living Facilities
Assisted Living Facilities are state licensed residences that combine housing, health and supportive services to support resident independence and aging in place.

Assistive Technology Program
The Vermont Assistive Technology Program serves Vermonters of all ages and abilities. VATP provides information and referrals, training for service providers and others, equipment and software demonstrations, tryouts, and technical assistance. Other activities include public awareness, an equipment exchange program, and short-term lending of assistive technology equipment.

Benefits Counseling Program (VR)
This program assists Vermonters who are receiving Social Security Benefits (SSI or SSDI). If you are interested in returning to work but you are concerned about what will happen to your benefits and health care if you do work, VR Benefits Counselors can help. In most cases, people on Social Security Disability benefits are financially better off if they work – as long as they understand the work incentives.

Business Enterprise Program
Participants of the Randolph-Sheppard Vending Facility Program, aka, Business Enterprise Program are trained to run one of DBVI’s food service facilities as self-employed entrepreneurs, keeping 100% of the profits! Our facilities consist of snack bar and vending machine operations, located in federal and state buildings throughout Vermont.

Choices for Care (CFC)
Choice for Care is a long-term care services program providing care and support to Vermonters at least 18 years old who require nursing home level of care. CFC helps those who are eligible receive their services in a home setting or in an authorized care facility.

Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Deafblind Services
This service is tasked with coordinating services and supports provided across state government to Vermonters who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Deafblind. It will act as single point of entry for information, resources, and links to available services across the state. In doing this work, our goal is to work closely with stakeholders to identify service gaps and advise on program development to meet identified gaps.

Dementia Respite and Family Care Services
The Dementia Respite Grant and family caregiver support services offer caregiver support for in-home care, respite care, homemaker services, and more.

Developmental Disabilities Services
There are 15 private non-profit developmental disabilities services providers in Vermont, contracted by DAIL, who offer a variety of services to people with developmental disabilities.  Supports include service coordiantion/case management, home supports, employment services, community supports, family and respite supports, clinical intervention and crisis services.

Direct Care Initiative 
Vermonters providing in-home health direct care services can qualify for scholarships and mentorships to further their training under the Direct Care Initiative.

Green Mountain Passport Program
The Green Mountain Passport program provides reduced day-rate passes to Vermont State Parks for Vermonters at least 62 years and to Vermont veterans. Applications can be found at your local City or Town Clerk's Office.

Home Health Agencies and Hospice Providers
Home Health Agencies provide health services in the home. Services include: nursing; personal care; physical therapy; homemaker services; hospice care, and social work services.

Home Sharing Provider
HomeShare Vermont provides matching services for homesharing and assists people who wish to live independently in their own homes by bringing them together with persons who seek affordable housing.

Vermont is served by seventeen different hospitals across the state.

Intermediate Care Facilities
The ICF/DD is certified to provide health-related care and services to individuals who have intense medical needs and/or require specialized services.

Nursing Facilities
Nursing homes provide nursing care and related services for people who need nursing, medical, rehabilitation, or other special services. They are licensed by the state and may be certified to participate in the Medicaid and/or Medicare programs. Certain nursing homes may also meet specific standards for subacute care or dementia care.

Office of Public Guardian (OPG)
The OPG, acting under court authority, provides public guardianship to adults with developmental disabilities and Vermonters 60 and older with mental disabilities, where there is not a friend or family member to serve as guardian, and the individual needs a public guardian to protect his or her rights or welfare.

Post-Secondary Education Initiative The Post-Secondary Education initiative promotes college education and industry based career training for tranisiton age youth with developmental disabilities and promotes access to lifelong learning for adults with developmental disabilities.

Residential Care Homes (RCH) - Level III
Residential care homes are state licensed group living arrangements designed to meet the needs of people who can not live independently and usually do not require the type of care provided in a nursing home. When needed, help is provided with daily activities such as eating, walking, toileting, bathing, and dressing. Residential care homes may provide nursing home level of care to residents under certain conditions. Level III homes provide nursing overview, but not full-time nursing care.

Residential Care Homes (RCH) - Level IV
Residential care homes are state licensed group living arrangements designed to meet the needs of people who can not live independently and usually do not require the type of care provided in a nursing home. When needed, help is provided with daily activities such as eating, walking, toileting, bathing, and dressing. Residential care homes may provide nursing home level of care to residents under certain conditions. Level IV homes do not provide nursing overview or nursing care.

State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program (SLTCOP)
This program protects the safety, welfare and rights of Vermonters in nursing homes, and those accessing Home and Community Based Services.

Supported Employment
Supported Employment provides a full range of services which enable transition age youth and adults with disabilities to access and succeed in competitive employment.

Therapeutic Community Residence
A place that provides short-term individualized treatment to three or more residents with major life adjustment problems, such as alcoholism, drug abuse, mental illness or delinquency.

Transition Services for Youth
VocRehab Vermont has counselors who work with youth in school or recently out of school. The counselors work in a team with the youth, parents and guardians, special educators and other community supporting members. The VocRehab youth transition counselor help explore possible careers and further training after high school or help with finding a job. There is a youth transition counselor in each VocRehab office assigned to local high schools, available to meet in the community, at school or in an office.

Access to transportation services that are flexible and responsive to the varied needs of older adults and people with disabilities is critical to the success of many programs available in Vermont. The Divisions of the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living (DAIL) works closely with state and local agencies to ensure individuals have access to transportation services to maintain independence and promote access to services and resources.

Vermont Public Transportation Association (VPTA)

VT Agency of Transportation (VAOT)

Traumatic Brain Injury
The Traumatic Brain Injury Program diverts and/or returns Vermonters, with a moderate to severe traumatic brain injury, from hospitals and facilities to a community-based setting.

Veterans Program (VR)
As Vermont and other states send significant numbers of Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve personnel to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it becomes increasingly more important that State and Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Programs work closely together to meet the needs of new and current veterans with disabilities. Since 2009, ten VocRehab Vermont counselors from nearly every district office in the state meet quarterly with the VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) counselors who serve Vermont veterans with disabilities at the VA Hospital in White River Junction. Through these meetings we collaborate on shared cases, learn from each other and discuss referrals.

        Veterans Independence Program

        Office of Veterans Affairs